Whilst we navigate through these unprecedented times, Hart Reade Solicitors is still very much open for business and continues to work safely to protect both existing and new clients. We are able to work remotely so if you are at all concerned you do not have to leave your home.
Hart Reade provide a range of legal services to support individuals through those important times in their lives. Laura Mitchell, continues to assist clients with:
- Will preparation and advice
- Lasting Powers of Attorney
- Probate and administration of estates
- Court of Protection applications (Deputy Orders)
- Management of affairs (vulnerable clients)
- Trusts and tax
Laura joined Hart Reade in April 2012 as a Trainee Solicitor and qualified in April 2014, joining the Private Client Department. Laura was appointed as a Partner in May 2018. She offers a professional yet friendly approach and is empathetic towards vulnerable clients. To read reviews from Laura’s clients please click here.
Laura’s contact details
Do you need a Power of Attorney?
Hart Reade encourage all people to plan ahead by making a Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) to avoid problems if they later lose mental capacity. A Power of Attorney is a legal document where a person gives one or more persons (the Attorney/s) authority to make certain decisions on their behalf.
There are two types of LPA:-
- A Property and Financial Affairs LPA allows your Attorney to have authority to deal with property and finances as you direct while you remain able to deal with these matters yourself. And then to take over matters for you should you lose mental capacity to do so; and
- A Health and Welfare LPA which allows your Attorney to make decisions about your heath and care matters on your behalf when you no longer have the mental capacity to do so yourself. This can include, if you so wish, the giving or refusing consent to life sustaining treatment in certain circumstances.
Looking to write a Will or prepare a LPA?
We understand that face to face initial meetings carry an unnecessary risk at the present time and we have therefore reviewed our working practices to ensure that we can continue to provide professional services to our clients in a safe and responsible manner. We can take instructions by telephone, email or post, including by completion of a Will Questionnaire in appropriate cases.
Execution of your Will or LPA
The formal requirements for the execution of a Will are set out in section 9 of the Wills Act 1837. The requirement that needs particular consideration at a time of social distancing is the requirement that the Testator signs the Will or acknowledge his or her signature in the presence of two or more witnesses who are present at the same time. We have developed procedures for signing Wills in ways which respect the Government’s advice on social distancing as well as ensuring compliance with section 9 of the Wills Act 1837.
There are also formalities to be followed when creating a LPA. The document must be signed by you and your Attorney and witnessed in a particular order. In addition, someone else must certify that you understand the nature and scope of the LPA and that you have not been unduly pressured into making the document.
We are fortunate to have a private car park at our office in Hailsham which means that (weather permitting) we can usually arrange for your Will or LPA to be executed in an outside space whilst maintaining a social distance from you.
Do you require assistance with Probate?
Hart Reade provide a sympathetic, thoughtful and efficient service in the administration of estates. We ensure the process is carried out as quickly as possible and at a cost which is proportionate to the value of the estate and the complexity of the deceased’s affairs.
Our solicitors are able to offer a full range of services from dealing with matters up to obtaining the Grant of Probate to providing a full administration service. We provide expert guidance on:
- Advising on the assets which form part of the estate and arranging valuations of the assets;
- Preparation of the Inheritance Tax papers and application for Grant of Probate;
- Calculation of Inheritance Tax, advising on raising and paying the same and dealing with HM Revenue and Customs queries and processes;
- Realisation or transfer of assets; and
- Preparation of Estate Accounts and dealing with tax issues during the administration period.
The Hailsham Office for Hart Reade
For advice in relation to the above please contact our team in Hailsham on 01323 841481 and we will be happy to assist you.
Alternatively, please complete the contact form below.
Laura is supported, within her department, by: