Property Law Solicitors in Meads, Eastbourne


Our property law solicitors in Meads, Eastbourne will advise and assist you with all aspects of property law and property conveyancing.

If you are thinking of buying or selling your home, we can assist you. From the initial stages through to completion and beyond. Based in Eastbourne, MeadsPolegate and Hailsham in East Sussex, we have a very experienced team of Property Law Solicitors. They will be able to assist you with a large range of property issues. For more information, please read our section on property conveyancing.

Andrew Pluck

Head of Department, Partner, BA Hons (Law)

Connor Earl

Conveyancing Executive, MCILEx

Jan Hollands

Chartered Legal Executive, FCILEx

Property Investment

If you are a property investor, or would like to become one, we can provide you with practical advice. All the necessary information on buying or selling properties. We can also advise on the preparation of tenancy agreements and possible ‘Houses in Multiple Occupation’ issues. Hart Reade can also offer assistance with tenancy disputes, including court proceedings if required.

Remortgaging Your Property

You may be changing your mortgage to secure a better rate or seeking to take money out of the property for a project or a holiday. Did you know that remortgaging with the lender’s nominated solicitors is not always the best choice?

We can offer a swift and efficient remortgaging service. Competitively priced, but with the advantage over many lender-nominated solicitors that we are able to deal any issues that may arise. We have an extremely experienced team of property lawyers available.

Equity Release

The term equity release refers to a particular type of re-mortgage. This is aimed at the older generation who no longer have the income to make regular mortgage payments. For those who want access to the capital in their homes. Sometimes known as a lifetime mortgage, equity release remains a popular choice for many people.

There are different ways that equity release schemes can be structured. As an alternative to a traditional equity release where the property is mortgaged, some people choose to sell their homes to a third party. This would be for less than the market value. They then receive a lifetime lease back, so they can continue living in their home indefinitely.

Under the Safe Home Income Plans (SHIP) Scheme, there is a requirement to see both a financial advisor and a solicitor before any equity release can be completed. We are pleased to support the SHIP Scheme.  Also offering you the necessary legal advice on the different types of equity release available.

Gift to a Family Member

If you wish to gift all or part of your property to a family member, perhaps as part of an Estate planning exercise, then we can assist you. We can provide advice to you on your possible tax implications. Although you may still need detailed advice from your accountant. Our solicitors can document the gift and update Land Registry records accordingly.

Transfers of Equity

Whether the need for a transfer of equity arises out of separation proceedings or happier circumstances, it is a relatively simple matter to document the change. We can prepare the necessary documents for you and register them at the Land Registry. If there is a mortgage secured on the property then this may complicate matters. However, the transfer can still proceed if the Mortgage Lender consents. It is advisable to discuss with us whether to approach them first for their consent.

Declarations of Trust

Where different people have an interest in the same property, it is always advisable to consider making a Declaration of Trust to record the different interests. This is a very economical way of clarifying the rights that each person has in the property to reduce the risk of disputes in the future.

A Declaration of Trust is a private document that is legally binding on the parties and records their various interests in the property. The Declaration can also record the parties’ obligations, such as contributions to maintenance and utilities. It should also provide an exit route. i.e. what happens when one party wants to withdraw the money from the property.

Severing your Joint Tenancy

If you need to sever a joint tenancy of your property, for estate planning purposes or otherwise, we can assist with the notices and Land Registry documents.

Altering or Extending your Home

Before you embark on any extensive and costly alteration or extension works to your home, we can review your title. We can also advise you whether there are any restrictive covenants in the title to your property. Covenants  that may prevent you from carrying out the work.

Boundary Agreements

Boundary disputes can be very disruptive and costly to resolve. If you have any boundaries that are not clearly defined but which are not currently disputed, you may wish to consider the preparation of a simple boundary agreement to record the position for the future.

Voluntary First Registrations

If your property is still unregistered, you should give serious thought to conducting a voluntary first registration. There discounts available on Land Registry fees. There may be issues relating to your property that are best uncovered and resolved now, rather than when you wish to sell.

Leasehold Property

There are particular issues that can arise when you own leasehold property. Or even if you own freehold property that is subject to long leases. One of our areas of speciality is to act for landlords, tenants and management companies in dealing with issues specific to leasehold property.

Lease Extensions

If you own leasehold property, such as a flat and the lease is approaching having only 80 years or less years left before it expires you should consider extending your lease now. We can guide you through this process. We would be happy to discuss your options with you in person. Or if you would prefer, it can be over the telephone as a free initial consultation.

Managing or Purchasing your Building

Many groups of flat owners are entitled to take over the management of their building or collectively buy the freehold of the building. There are specific procedures set out in the relevant legislation that must be followed to exercise these rights. Our solicitors can guide you through whether you are a flat owner or a landlord.

We also have expertise in dealing with the sale and purchase of freehold properties that are subject to long residential leases. In many circumstances notices offering the property to the flat owners will be required by the seller. We can ensure that these are dealt with properly and at an early stage to prevent delays.

The property law solicitors in Meads and their teams are listed at the top of this page. However if you would like to view our full list of solicitors who deal with matters such as these, then please visit our full meet the team page. For more information, please also read our section on property conveyancing.