In 2014 our two branch offices reach important milestones in Hart Reade’s history. We are celebrating 30 years in Hailsham and 40 years at our address in Polegate.
The firm was founded in 1910 and occupied various premises in Terminus Road until they moved into what is now part of the existing Lloyds Bank building.
A Polegate office was established during the Second World War when in 1943, Lloyds Bank Chambers was bombed and became uninhabitable in the explosion which caused 63-65 Terminus Road to be demolished. The office therefore moved to a house called “Hadley Hurst” in Polegate. After the war the firm returned to Lloyds Bank Chambers but permanent offices were established in Polegate High Street from then on. In 1974 the Polegate branch moved to 55 High Street, the location that it still occupies today nearly 40 years on.
In June 1984 a branch in North Street, Hailsham was established when the firm took over the long-established practice of John Holt and moved to its present offices in the beautiful Queen Anne building, Old Manor House, Market Street in 1995. The Old Manor House is a Grade II* listed building with a staircase that dates back to circa 1740.
We will be marking these branch anniversaries in 2014 when we will be holding a number of fundraising and charitable events. Please check our website for information throughout the year.