Family & Divorce
The government has published draft legislation on family justice reform for pre-legislative scrutiny.
The changes include;
- Separating couples must first consider mediation and alternative dispute resolution as means to avoiding court if possible
- Residence orders and contact orders will be replaced with a child arrangements order.
- Disputes about the arrangements for a child resulting from family breakdown will in future be dealt with by way of a free-standing application to the court.
- There will be a maximum 26 week time limit for the completion of care and supervision proceedings
- Decisions regarding the timetable of the case will be child focused and in reference to the child’s welfare.