It is a difficult and emotional time when a loved one passes away and the task of sorting out their affairs and administering their estate can be a daunting one.
Each bank, financial institution, stockbroker, Government Department, and utility company will have different requirements and procedures.
On top of this, you may be uncertain as to whether a Grant of Probate is required and the procedure involved, whether there is Inheritance Tax to pay and how this is calculated, what your duties and rights as an Executor are and how to go about implementing the terms of the deceased’s Will.
At Hart Reade, we are pleased to offer an initial face-to-face appointment with a qualified lawyer of up to one hour free of charge.
What will happen at the appointment
At this interview, we will take details form you regarding the deceased’s assets, liabilities and the terms of the Will and will be able to provide you with initial information on the following:-
- The meaning of the deceased’s Will
- In the absence of a Will, how the Intestacy Rules apply and the steps you need to take to identify potential beneficiaries
- Whether a Grant of Probate (Grant of Representation) is likely to be required
- The assets which fall within the estate and how these should be valued
- The procedure for obtaining a Grant of Representation and the information required
- Whether Inheritance Tax is likely to be due, the manner in which that is calculated and how it can be paid
- Your duties as an Executor
- General pointers on dealing with utility companies, banks and arranging the funeral and settling any debts
At this meeting, we will also be able to give you a no-obligation estimate of our costs should you wish to instruct us to act on your behalf. This could be dealing with matters only up to obtaining the Grant of Representation, or dealing with the full administration of the estate on your behalf.
We will be pleased to discuss all options with you at the first appointment and can tailor our service to meet your needs.
Please telephone the following contact numbers to arrange an appointment:
Eastbourne 01323 727321
Hailsham 01323 841481
Polegate 01323 487051
Meads 01323 407577